Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Medical Experiments


Sometimes I get emails from people that have random home remedies for whatever ails you. I always want to try them out, but I generally don't get sick, and I would rather try them out on someone else.

Enter marriage.

Bryson got a cough last week the same day I got an email saying:

"During a lecture on Essential Oils, they told us how the foot soles can absorb oils. Their example: Put garlic on your feet and within 20 minutes you can 'taste' it.

Some of us have used Vicks VapoRub for years for everything from chapped lips to sore toes and many body parts in between. But I've never heard of this. And don't laugh, it works 100% of the time, although the scientists who discovered it aren't sure why. To stop night time coughing in a child (or adult as we found out personally), put Vicks VapoRub generously on the soles of your feet, cover with socks, and the heavy, deep coughing will stop in about 5 minutes and stay stopped for many, many hours of relief.

My wife tried it on herself when she had a very deep constant and persistent cough a few weeks ago and it worked 100%! She said that it felt like a warm blanket had enveloped her, coughing stopped in a few minutes."


I think it was fate. It took a little (or a lot of) convincing and I had to go buy the Vaporub, but I got him to try it out. And, it might have worked. We weren't real sure, he didn't cough during the night and did feel like a warm blanket was enveloping him, that may have been the vicks he put on his chest though.

Next up: get him to try a netti pot. It might be harder than the vicks. When I emailed him this he replied "I hate netti pots. I don’t know what they are. But I hate them. They wronged me somewhere, sometime."

2 comments:

Rachel said...

I do the nasal rinse all the time. It's gross...but it really works. I vote yes on the Netipot.

Tara Werner said...

Me too... I netti pot. And I feel better.