Friday, October 26, 2007

I'd rather be out of shape

I've been in the market for a gym membership, maybe.

It has been raining all week and I am really trying to get back into shape (you would be amazed how fast you lose it). I have visited two rather corporate gyms and had the wonderful opportunity of visiting with two very charismatic gents about signing up. I tried to give them my "I ONLY want to hear prices" speech. Of course this was just not good enough and I was forced into hearing about the classes (seriously what gym doesn't have classes), take a tour (you have treadmills?!?), and listen to them try with their best technique to sign me up (how to be a sweet bra 101).

By the time we got to any type of pricing I had made up my mind these places weren't for me because of the fear of running into to either of these two again daily (okay weekly). Man #1 pursed his lips and talked to me like we were bff's, man #2 asked what I would be willing to pay I said $20/month, like at home, he said "really there isn't a difference between $20 and $49/month" The difference over two years (the contract time): $696. I felt like I was on a bad date, or in high school.

Even the YMCA here is $70 a month, I was hoping to go there and workout next to punks and hoodlums, I was disappointed. They must be bringing in more dough in their career paths than I am. I guess this means I'll be seeing the streets of DC a little more often, and Mary Windsor and I are becoming new bff's.

2 comments:

Tara Werner said...

Just join me in getting out of shape! I need some company!

Laura B from the LBC said...

OK, you crack me up! I totally understand the frustration! I joined a gym in downtown SLC for $12/month...

And I was going to tell you (until I read the last sentence) that you should do Pilates!