Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Accident prone?

My family teases me all the time about the fear that went through them each time I would go on a bike ride as a child. They joke that I would be riding along not paying any attention to what was going on, cars could be crashing, fire hydrants going off, dogs fighting... and me, just riding along. Well, last week I biked into work (which I plan on doing daily once the rain is gone) and I laughed to myself at these images. I am happy to say I made it safely to work and back home through the streets of DC without a hitch.

On the other hand, my roomies in college have an ongoing joke that I consistently trip on dry flat ground, this I don't even try to deny. On my way home from the bike shop, I was walking briskly because I was going to check out a car and didn't want to be late. Well, it happened last night. I was walking along and then all of the sudden, WHAM! I hit the ground. My arms outstretched to catch myself, me laying on the pavement. I stood up rather embarrassed, though I only saw one guy in his car nearby, who I am sure was dying with laughter. When I got up, I did notice my big toe missing a chunk of skin (gross, I know) and my palms were all red. It was one of those moments when, once I stood up, I couldn't contain my own laughter.

3 comments:

Rachel said...

Oh Desty Lou! I'm sorry you fell, but that is a great story. I enjoyed it mucho.

You're probably working your first shift at the bike store now...fun.

Tara said...

And that is why you and Kari were such good friends! She too could find a piece of dust on a perfectly smooth sidewalk to trip on! Such fun we had together! BTW, I'm heading to NYC in August for the next 4-5 years. That's close to DC isn't it? Anyway, we need to get together!!!

Laura B from the LBC said...

OOoohhhhh......Sorry Dest! Although you forgot to mention that along with tripping on dry-flat ground, you also tend to lock your keys in your car....while its still running.....