Thursday, May 29, 2008

Duck Beach '08/ Find a Mate '08/ Birthday Weekend

Duck Beach is supposed to be the best thing to hit the East Coast LDS singles scene since caffeine-free Coke. It consists of hundreds of LDS singles spending their Memorial Day weekend staying in huge beach houses in North Carolina, strutting it on the beach, and kissing late at night in Hot Tubs. I have been hearing about it since October when I moved here, and people have been on Duck Beach diets, working out, and getting their back's waxed in preparation for this event. Though you all know how I love a plethora of sweet bra's, I was a little apprehensive of going, but I got the invite to a house and I do love the beach, so I went.

The beach is 6 hours from here, and I drove down with Tom. The car ride was great, and Tom and I now know way too much about each other. We rolled into town and had to drop food off at our house and then we had to camp the first night because our house wasn't open until Saturday afternoon. When we got to the camp site, everyone else was already asleep so we pitched our tent and fell asleep to the sounds of the nearby roadway. I felt like a kid sleeping in the backyard. It started raining sometime in the night but no worries because the tent was waterproof, I think Tom may have been a little peeved since we could have had spots in a house that night. We won him over with good chocolate.

The next morning we split from the group, popped on the aviators and Rachel, Tom and I got cozy in his truck while belting out Celine Dion and Timbaland, and headed to the beach. The cluds melted away to blue skies and the weather was perfect for catching rays, and zzz's since we were a little behind from sleeping on the ground. As we were laying there we got introduced to a few new people one of which said to me:
Him: "Your name is Destiny? I used to know a Destiny..."
Me: "Oh yeah? Where?"
Him: "Oh it was a while ago, in High School, in Bountiful, UT"
Me: "Yeah, That was me."

After the beach Rachel and I decided to walk and get our stuff, which was a much longer walk than we planned on, luckily we ran into an ice cream truck on the way, and we hitched a ride back to the house. Tom and Colton were talking up "The Dunes" so much, when they said they were going, I had to tag along. We went four-wheeling on these sand dunes by the beach, and we saw wild horses. We almost had to go Survivor style when we thought we were going to get stuck there and Tom's clutch was smoking, but we somehow made it out without being eaten by the wild horses.

We made it home just in time for the steel drum band and the hoards of people to invade, but left just before the table dancing started and the cops broke up the party for noise violations. Rachel, Michael and I went to his house for hot tubbing (again avoiding the sweet bra's).

Sunday was Rachel's birthday, and before she woke up we made her a card signed by everyone we knew, Sunday school by Preston in our bed with 6 others, more beach time, and I may have gotten annhialated at tennis with Michael. We went to a BBQ and I met two people who didn't glaze over when I told them about my job, it was great! We also had a birthday cake for me, Rachel and Allison, and introduced Michael to Rock Band. I feel a little dealer-esque, because I am pretty sure he is now an addict. We played it in the theatre room of the house, and it was money! That is the way to play Rock Band... but by the end my head was buzzing and I felt as if I had just left an actual concert.

Monday we took a small field trip to the house with the CRAZIEST name Jiggleitalittleitllopen. We sadly had to say goodbye to Duck Beach, and Rachel and I drove with Michael home, and we also now know way too much about each other.

Overall, the beach was a hit!

2 comments:

Laura B from the LBC said...

Sounds like a crazy fun Destiny weekend! (I especially like the story about that person from your high school - Do you look THAT different?)

Destiny said...

I actually didn't know who he was either.... It was really funny