Wednesday, May 14, 2008

The Fuzz

Let me paint the picture: Jenny drives a honda Accord, she is all of 5 feet tall and was wearing a tennis skirt. I look like I am maybe 20 years old, also clothed in workout gear, and am possibly the least intimidating person in DC. I also live in the safest area of DC, it feels like the suburbs and there is an elementary school across the street. Oh, and it was like 9:00p.m.

She was nice enough to drive me home after we played tennis, and we were sitting in her car chatting outside of my house. A cop pulled up and flashed his lights, so we pulled into my driveway thinking he wanted us to move our car. He followed us into the driveway, lights flashing. I got out of the car and went to talk to him, told him I lived there and we were just sitting and chatting in the car. He asked for my ID, which I presented and explained why it is from UT. He asked if I had anything that proved I lived there, to which I responded I would gladly whip out my keys to the place and give him a tour. He declined, but then told me that some neighbors called about two people sitting in a car outside of the house. I just smiled and looked confused. Luckily, he let us go, and we weren't arrested and questioned by the counter-terrorism unit in the DCPD.
It does make me wonder though, why are crime rates so high here? And is there possibly a better use of this cop's time, and our tax dollars, than making sure people aren't talking in cars?

3 comments:

jessaveda said...

my question is: what kind of paranoid neighbors do you have?

Tara Werner said...

Seriously, if your neighbors weren't anal, they'd probably notice two very sweet, and incredibly UN-intimidating young women. However, that PhD of Jenny's does put a little fear in me... :P

It is a little frustrating, though, isn't it. I always wonder why the cops seem to spend so much time on non-issues such as these. It's like they're TRYING to avoid the serious crimes in the city!!

Laura B from the LBC said...

Well, you DO have freakishly long arms, dest.